Register for Our Virtual Open House
PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program
Grand Strand Health’s Mission: Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.
Program Purpose: Our PGY1 residency program serves as a crucial bridge between academic education and professional practice. Residents are immersed in direct patient care and collaborate with interdisciplinary teams to optimize medication therapy. The program emphasizes evidence-based practice, critical thinking, and effective communication in order to refine clinical judgment and enhance problem-solving skills. Residents are exposed to drug safety, practice management, and quality improvement initiatives. By the end of the year, residents are equipped with the competence and confidence to purse a PGY2 residency, board certification, or step into clinical practice.
- Location: Grand Strand Medical Center in Myrtle Beach, SC
- About the Health System: Grand Strand Health is comprised of one acute care, 403-bed hospital (Grand Strand Medical Center), three freestanding ER facilities and outpatient medical services including behavioral health, advanced wound care, imaging and lab services. Affiliated with Grand Strand Health are six CareNow Urgent Care facilities along with a number of physician practices that provide heart and vascular care, spine and neuro care, surgical care, orthopedic care, plastic surgery, facial and jaw surgery, bariatric surgery and primary care. In addition
Grand Strand Medical Center specializes in emergency and trauma medicine, cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, neurosurgery, neurology and robotic surgery. The hospital offers the only cardiac surgery program, neurosurgery program and pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) in Horry and Georgetown counties. The hospital is the home to the busiest trauma center in South Carolina, as a designated Level I Adult Trauma Center and Level II Pediatric Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons; and the only Comprehensive Stroke Center in the service area, certified by DNV-GL. Grand Strand Medical Center is recognized by The Joint Commission, for the following programs: chest pain center, knee and hip replacement, sepsis and stroke rehabilitation. For two years in a row, the hospital has been named one of America’s 250 Best Hospitals by Healthgrades (2022 and 2023).
- Duration of Program: 12 months
- Available Positions: 1
- Start Date: July 1
- Interview Required: yes
- Salary: $48,000
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance offered
- Eligibility for 401(K) contributions and matching
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 15 days Paid time off (PTO)
- 5 days for Administrative Leave to attend the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Midyear Clinical Meeting as well as the Southeastern Residency Conference (SERC).
- BLS, ACLS, and PALS certifications
- Dedicated laptop and office space
- HCA network, discounts and amenities
- Free onsite parking
- Internal Medicine
- Critical Care
- Emergency Medicine
- Transition of Care
- Practice Management and Administration
- Inpatient Psychiatry
- Palliative Care
- Medication Safety
- Clinical Administration/Formulary Management
Longitudinal Learning Experiences
- Infectious Diseases/Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Nutrition Support
- Opioid Stewardship
- Operational Pharmacy (centralized Staffing every third weekend)
- Research and MUE
- Teaching Certificate Program
- Pharmacy Student Preceptor
- Committee involvement
- Medication Safety
Eligibility, Application, and Interviews
- U.S. citizenship
- Graduate from an accredited PharmD program
- Eligible for South Carolina licensure
- The following information must be submitted through ASHP's Pharmacy Online Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS) by January 5, 2024.
- Letter of intent
- Curriculum vitae
- 3 letters of recommendation using the standardized template found in PhORCAS. Letters should be written by a preceptor, faculty member, or practicing pharmacist
- Official transcripts of all professional pharmacy education
- Selected applicants will receive an invitation to interview at Grand Strand Medical Center for the PGY1 residency position.
Ranking and Match
- PGY1 AHSP Program Code: 37318
- Grand Strand Medical Center participates in the AHSP Resident Matching Program. The program will be listed by a National Match Program Code Number: 313913. Code Numbers are used to submit the Rank Order List.
Please complete the form below.
All fields with an asterisk (*) are required.
The form was submitted successfully.