Resilience in the face of COVID-19, we are here when you need us.
Grand Strand Behavioral Health at South Strand Medical Center is now offering a Tele-behavioral Health service!
As the threat from the COVID-19 virus is amplified, so too are our efforts. That's why we continue to offer new ways to assure uninterrupted compassionate care for your physical and mental health wellness. We understand these are stressful times with challenging weeks ahead.
Our inpatient and outpatient programs remain open and we are taking every precaution by following CDC guidelines to keep our staff and patients safe.
We are excited to announce the option to participate virtually in our Intensive Outpatient Program. Patients will continue to receive needed treatment in a format that makes sense given the environment today.
Here is how the tele-behavioral program will serve patients:
- Deliver expert clinical care to those that are unable to continue in-person treatment
- Utilize WebEx Meetings, a secure HIPAA compliant platform that is easy to use for both the provider and the patient
- Ensure patient confidentiality with an informed consent for treatment
- Establish a plan for psychiatric emergencies that may present during a telehealth visit reviewed with each patient before each session
- Reduces potential exposure to viral pathogens, while maintaining patients' connection to others
- Evaluation for appropriateness will include training and set up for patients
Patients that are appropriate for virtual group setting will need:
- Access to laptop, tablet, or mobile device with audio and video in real time
- Access to dedicated internet access
- Ability to download the WebEx Meetings app
- Ability to navigate the tele platform
- Have private, confidential meeting space
If you have a patient in need of inpatient or outpatient behavioral health services, please call us to find the best fit for your patient.
Personalized Mental Health Treatment in Horry County
Our Behavioral Health unit located at South Strand Medical Center is a 20 bed adult inpatient unit emphasizing on the importance of individualized care and specialized treatments including cognitive therapy and individualized psychotherapy. Our inpatient program allows behavioral health patients to undergo treatment in a safe, therapeutic environment with 24/7 access to psychiatric and medical professionals.
Our psychiatric team specializes in treating people facing:
- Thought disorders including schizophrenia and psychosis
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Traumatic events (PTSD)
- Suicidal thoughts or tendencies
Our program is centered on the belief every patient is different and has unique needs, which is why we offer personalized psychiatric treatments. Because not every behavioral health disorder is the same, our psychiatrists and other behavioral health specialists are trained to quickly recognize mental health symptoms and create a personalized treatment plan.
The overall goal of our treatment programs is to provide patients assistance with crisis intervention and stabilization within a supportive setting. Our treatment methods include medication management, individual, group and family therapies, classes in coping skills and a wide range of therapeutic activities.
Therapy sessions focus on stress management, relationship skill development, social and interpersonal skill improvement, decision management skill development, coping, learning appropriate recreational and leisure activities and more.
Our program offers a safe, caring and comprehensive setting with services that include:
- Daily sessions with a psychiatrist
- Daily group therapy sessions with master’s level therapists
- Family sessions
- Daily structured therapeutic recreation groups
- Intensive medication management
- 24-hour nursing services provided by registered nurses with expertise in psychiatric care
- Other necessary medical services offered within the hospital
Discharge planning and recovery
Aftercare planning is a critical part of the treatment process. The patient, in coordination with our treatment team, will work on a plan to meet his or her long term goals. Our program is developed to enhance self-understanding and responsibility by teaching new coping skills. Session for family members are available, when needed, to help families understand the illness and needs, and to provide support through the recovery process.
Intensive outpatient services
Our program specializes in the treatment of mood disorders, depression and other issues related to behavioral health. Treatment consists of group therapy and educational sessions.
Our patients participate in therapeutic groups which focus on providing peer support and accountability, teaching skills and assisting them in achieving personal goals. Treatment groups are facilitated by master's level therapists utilizing the 8 Dimensions of wellness endorsed by SAMHSA.
Who can benefit from Intensive Outpatient Services?
Individuals 18 years old and older whose emotional health issues have impaired their daily functioning can benefit from Intensive Outpatient Services. Typical problems may include: depression or mood disorders, life trauma, anxiety, relationship problems and grief or loss.
Intensive Outpatient Services are available from 9:00am - Noon on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
Partial hospitalization program
The goal of our partial hospitalization program is to empower each person to develop effective strategies that will help him or her achieve emotional wellness by learning new ways to cope with stress, anxiety and depression. We integrate the following therapeutic evidence based practices that include SAMHSA’S Eight Dimensions of Wellness, IMR (Illness Management Recovery) and CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) in conjunction with medication management to help treat individuals with behavioral health illnesses.
The partial hospitalization program operates Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The partial hospitalization program is designed to help patients who:
- Are 18 years old or order
- Are experiencing behavioral or emotional difficulties
- May have symptoms of depression, anxiety and/or may face other obstacles when functioning in everyday situations
- Need support to achieve short-term stabilization
- Are at risk of being admitted to a psychiatric hospital
- Are stepping down from a psychiatric hospitalization
Partial hospitalization program components include:
- Psychiatric consultation
- Group therapy on a variety of wellness and recovery topics
- Individual and family interventions available
- Daily safety planning