You only have one heart, and at Grand Strand Health in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, we are committed to helping you keep your heart in good health. If you or a loved one has a heart or vascular condition, trust the experience of our specialized heart team. Grand Strand Medical Center provides cardiac care close to home.
Learn about your heart risk, take our FREE heart risk assessment.
Our Heart Center is a state-of-the-art facility with a team of cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, electrophysiologists, nurses and technicians trained in treating heart disease, heart failure, aortic stenosis and other heart conditions.
As one of the largest cardiac care facilities in Horry and Georgetown counties, we have the experience and resources to help you through the treatment process, every step of the way.
Our cardiovascular team offers comprehensive experience in treating a wide range of conditions that affect the heart, valves, heart structure and circulatory system. Procedures include:
- Heart catheterization, in our cardiac cath lab
- Coronary angioplasty
- Cardiac stent
- Heart surgery, including coronary artery bypass (CABG), valve repair/replacement, aortic valve replacement, mitral valve repair, transcatheter aortic valve replacementand transcatheter mitral valve procedures
- Electrophysiology, including ablations, implantable cardioverter defibrillators and pacemakers
- Thoracic surgery, for cancer and tumors, including mediastinal tumors
Grand Strand Medical Center is one of a few hospitals in South Carolina that offers the transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) procedure. TAVR can help patients with severe aortic stenosis feel better and live longer. It is the only valve replacement option for patients with severe aortic stenosis who are not well enough to undergo traditional surgery.
TAVR is a procedure that involves using a catheter to thread the replacement valve from a blood vessel in the leg to the heart’s diseased aortic valve and replace it with a new valve without requiring open heart surgery. The malfunctioning valve is opened with a balloon and the new valve is anchored in place, leaving patients with a smoothly operating valve that delivers better blood flow from the heart to the rest of the body. TAVR is a minimally invasive procedure that does not require open heart surgery. Benefits of TAVR can include:
- Fewer days in the ICU
- Shorter hospital stay
- Earlier return to normal activities
- Less blood loss
What is TAVR?
Additional heart services
- Valve Clinic
- Cardiovascular nurse navigators
- Cardiac rehabilitation
It is important to be aware of the warning signs of a heart attack. If you or someone you love is experiencing any of these symptoms, immediately call 911.
- Chest discomfort: uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness, heaviness, indigestion/burning, tightness or pain
- Discomfort in the upper body: arms, shoulders, back, neck, jaw or stomach
- Shortness of breath, with or without chest discomfort
- Sudden unusual fatigue
- Arm numbness/tingling