Millions of Americans struggle to maintain a healthy weight. There are a wide variety of options available today, from extreme exercise programs to trend diets, leaving you feeling discouraged and ultimately leading to weight regain. We are here to help you stop the cycle with bariatric surgical options for sustained weight loss.
At Grand Strand Health, our team of board-certified bariatric surgeons, nurses and registered dieticians take the time to work with you to understand what has gotten in the way of your weight loss success in the past and understand your life and long-term weight loss goals. We offer nonsurgical and surgical options for weight management, and our healthcare team will work with you hand-in-hand to decide the best treatment for you, considering your medical history, psychological screenings and a nutrition evaluation.
To start your weight loss journey with us, speak with one of our bariatric specialists by calling (843) 353-5360.
Nonsurgical weight loss options
Depending on your weight loss goals, a nonsurgical option may be the best solution. Our team provides the resources and support system you need to lose weight and keep it off. Nonsurgical treatment options include:
- Customized diet programs– Through our customized diet program and nutrition counseling, we help you develop an eating plan that fits with your lifestyle. Our certified dieticians know too many restrictions can do more harm than good. We work with you to evaluate your current diet, identify any nutrient deficiencies and find hidden sources of excess calories. Once we have this information, we provide a personalized nutrition plan designed to work with your personal preferences and lifestyle.
- Customized exercise programs– We provide detailed workout plans tailored to your needs, making sure your new exercise routine positively impacts your overall health. Additionally, we help you find ways to increase physical activity in your daily tasks and adjust the role food plays in your life.
Candidates for weight loss surgery
Not everyone who wants to lose weight is a candidate for bariatric surgery. It depends on the person’s body mass index (BMI) calculation, which compares your weight with your height. If you have a high BMI and an obesity-related health condition, bariatric surgery may be a good option to help you kick start weight loss.
To better understand if you would qualify for weight loss surgery, review the following criteria:
- You are 100 pounds or more over your ideal body weight
- You have a BMI of 40 or more
- You have a BMI of 35 or more and are experiencing negative health effects related to obesity, such as:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Type 2 diabetes
You cannot achieve a healthy body weight and sustain it for a prolonged period of time – even through medically supervised dieting.
Surgical options for weight loss
If any of the qualifications above apply to you, talk with your doctor to see if bariatric surgery could be beneficial to your health. For those who are candidates for surgery, we provide several options. Each patient’s weight loss goals differ, which is why we offer multiple surgical options to meet every person’s needs. Our surgical options include gastric sleeve and consultations for other weight loss surgeries:
The gastric sleeve procedure, also called sleeve gastrectomy, is a restrictive procedure where 75 percent of the stomach is removed using a minimally invasive, laparoscopic approach. The remainder of the stomach forms a narrow tube, or sleeve, which connects to the intestines.
For patients who may be sick or have certain health problems, the gastric sleeve procedure opens a lower-risk way to lose weight. If needed, after a patient’s weight and overall health has improved – usually between 12 and 18 months – they may undergo a second procedure, such as a gastric bypass. This procedure leaves the intestines unaffected, so there is no change in the way your body absorbs food and nutrients.
Free weight loss surgery seminars
We are currently offering free weight loss seminars. Our seminars are available to anyone interested in learning more about their options and required lifestyle changes when undergoing weight loss surgery. Topics we will cover include:
- Benefits and risks associated with each type of procedure
- Lifestyle changes required for weight loss success
- Steps to take before the procedure
- What to expect during the recovery process
- Who is a candidate for weight loss surgery
Please visit our events page to find upcoming seminar dates: MyGrandStrandHealth.com/Events