Pediatric emergency room (ER) in Myrtle Beach
Caring for a sick or hurt child isn't limited to moms and dads. It takes around-the-clock pediatric doctors and nurses who know as much about little arms, legs and bodies as they do about calming young patients and parents who are scared or upset.
If your child is experiencing a medical emergency, call 911 immediately.
At Grand Strand Medical Center, our pediatricians and nurses are committed to caring for our young patients in a comfortable, kid-friendly environment. You can trust our hospital to provide emergency medical services 24/7 when your child needs it the most.
Pediatric ER in Myrtle Beach
We understand that adult-sized care isn't suited for children. That's why our doctors and ER nurses tailor every aspect of our services to little ones.
Our hospital offers:
- A Level II Pediatric Trauma Center
- A pediatric ER designed for children
- Child-friendly designs with bright colors and pediatric décor
- Medical equipment made specifically for children
- Minimal wait times
State-accredited trauma care
We are proud to be recognized by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) as a Level II Pediatric Trauma Center. This means we provide advanced trauma care for kids, including 24/7 coverage by specialized surgeons as well as trauma prevention and education for our staff.
PICU and inpatient pediatric unit
For children who need to be admitted for further monitoring, observation and treatment, we offer an inpatient pediatric unit and PICU to care for the special needs of children in our communities. We are committed to family-centered care with services from birth to adolescence. Our hospital offers:
- 24/7 care in both our inpatient pediatric unit and PICU
- Child life specialists
- Child-friendly artwork and décor
- Child-friendly menus
- Family-centered care, enabling a family member to be included in the daily care plan
- Music therapy
- Only dedicated pediatric intensive care physicians in our community
- Pediatric orthopedic surgery
- Pediatric sedation services for diagnostic imaging, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computerized tomography (CT) scans and ultrasounds
- Pet therapy
- Play area with child-sized furniture and toys
- Spacious private rooms
- Specially trained pediatric nurses and respiratory therapists
Child life specialists
A child life specialist is a clinically trained professional who helps children manage challenging aspects of hospitalization and life-changing events. They promote family-centered care, advocate for pain management and help provide play opportunities to normalize the hospital environment.
We work to create a therapeutic relationship with every child and family to help in the healing process. Our goal is to reduce anxiety and promote coping through developmentally appropriate support, education and therapeutic interventions.
Paws for Pediatrics (pet therapy)
Our trained dogs and their handlers provide warmth, comfort and a sense of familiarity to children and adults who are hospitalized. Pet therapy can:
- Distract kids from pain and medical treatments
- Encourage interaction and communication
- Raise the spirits of patients, family, visitors and staff